Creekbank Blog

The writing blog of Curt Iles and Creekbank Stories. Our mission: To connect hearts to God by using stories of encouragement and inspiration.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Three Babies, Two Dogs, and One Message.

“Tonight had the most distractions I’ve ever preached through.”

-Rev. Reid Terry

My nephew Reid Terry is a wonderful preacher and exhibited it throughout our Honduran trip. I agree with his statement above.

If you’ve never preached in a developing world country, you’ve never had fun. You expect the unexpected and learn to be flexible as well as resourceful.

Each time we preached, at least one dog entered during the service. I called them “deacon dogs” because of their familiarity with the church. Usually they would saunter up the aisle as if they were special invited guests.

As two of them "walked the aisle" I recalled the verse I learned as a child. “I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord.”

Then there are the cell phones. I read where 85% of Hondurans have a cell phone. I find that ironic since I live in a cell phone dead zone in America. Throughout the services, cell phones would ring. It was no big deal for them to answer and carry on a conversation.

It’s always good to have babies and children at church. This means the church is growing for the future. However, there is constant crying and distractions.

However, the thing that shocks the senses the most are the nursing babies. When I spoke on this night, three women were happily nursing their babies near the front. They were as focused on my story as the babies were on their supper.

The only one having trouble focusing was me. It is just a shock to see the openness and relaxed attitude on this. It sure is hard on the preacher.

I once heard a story about a visiting American pastor who complained to the host pastor about this practice. The next night, six mothers sat on the front row all happily nursing their babies as the man tried to preach.

Seriously, I learned so much from being among our Honduran Christian friends. They have much to teach us about worship, gratitude, and contentment.

Their generosity and kindness is so genuine.

Even their dogs are friendly.

It's one of the reasons I love to travel.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home