Creekbank Blog

The writing blog of Curt Iles and Creekbank Stories. Our mission: To connect hearts to God by using stories of encouragement and inspiration.

Friday, March 27, 2009

No Man Can Serve Two Masters

From the 2002 book by Curt Iles, The Old House

Most days I carry my dog, Ivory to work with me. When she sees me lower the tailgate of the truck, she begins dancing excitedly. Ivory is a large yellow Labrador Retriever. She really belongs to my son Clint, who bought her five years ago. Because I spend a lot of time with her at work, I like to pick at Clint and say Ivory is really my dog. He quickly reminds me that he is the one who paid good money for her, and therefore she belongs to him.


At the camp, Ivory loves to sit outside the door of whatever building I’m in. Faithfully, she waits in the shade for me to come out. The only exception to this is when I enter the Dining Hall. No matter which of the seven doors I enter, she quickly goes to the side door where campers exit after meals. She has learned this door is the prime spot to beg scraps from campers.


When I leave the Dining Hall and don’t see her, I give my Grandpa’s hog dog call and she comes running around the corner of the building- full of camp biscuits and ready once again to be my faithful companion.

Recently, Clint and I walked out of the camp office together. As we exited outside, there was Ivory grinning her silly smile, as she expectantly thumped her big tail against the wall. I challenged Clint to a test, “Clint, let’s stop here and find out who Ivory really loves the most. You go north to the road and I’ll go east to the Tabernacle. Whom she follows will show her true allegiance.” He reluctantly agreed to my challenge. I was confident she would follow me because of how faithfully she always follows me each day.


We both agreed not to look back until we had walked to our respective spots. As I walked the seventy-five feet to the Tabernacle, I expected at any time to hear the sound of her steps behind me. I held off looking for as long as I could. Reaching the sidewalk I stopped, and looked over to Clint. He had also stopped at his spot, the same distance from our starting point, but Ivory had followed neither of us. There she sat right where we’d left her, anxiously looking back and forth from one of us to the other. She excitedly wagged her tail and moved her front legs as if to come to one of us. Then she resumed her looking as if she was saying “Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe....”

as we approached each other, Ivory left her spot and ran to us, arriving just as we met.

I felt guilty for putting her in such a tough position. I promised Clint that I would not bother him anymore about whom Ivory loved best. She evidently loved both of us equally.


The words of Jesus came to me as I thought about Ivory’s allegiance. Jesus clearly stated that no man can serve two masters. In the Sermon on the Mount, he clearly spoke of allegiance and dedication,

“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”


In this case Jesus compared serving God or worshipping money- Which is a good illustration because most of us find this decision to be a tough one. However, no one should congratulate themselves too much because all of have at least one major area that appeals to us, yet blocks our relationship to God.


The scariest part is this: many times, we stand and look back and forth at which master we will serve. The other object drawing us away from God is often something good, but anything that blocks our communion and dedication to God is harmful, no matter what it is. We must not settle for good when we can have the best- a close intimate relationship with Jesus. Jesus meant it when he said we can only serve one master. I saw this very principle in a humorous, but dramatic, way recently at Dry Creek Camp.


One of our joys at camp is planning events for folks to attend. Most of the time during the year we host church groups of all types. On many of these weekends we will plan events, such as ladies retreats and couples events, for folks from various churches to attend.


Recently, we scheduled two separate events for the same weekend. At our Adult Center we held a couples retreat. This is always one of our favorite events. Couples arrive Friday evening, tired and frazzled from a busy


week. Beginning with the evening meal, we pamper them and take care of every need they have. There is always a couple who leads this program of marriage enrichment. Our Adult Center allows these guests to mix and learn together while at the same time giving each couple needed privacy to be together away from the demands of their busy lives.


These couple’s events are attended by a wide range of folks. Most of these couples are young, but we will have one or two older couples, sometimes in their sixties or older. Just like the younger ones, they are here to learn more about making the coming years of their marriage the best yet.


Among our couples there are always a few who qualify as “eager wives/reluctant husbands.” I can spot them quickly; the men look as if they are there for a public hanging- their own. Usually as I sign them in, the husband will whisper to me, “Now, this wasn’t my idea, but to keep the peace I came.” Or they’ll reveal a bribe, “She told me if I’d come to this, I could go fishing at Toledo next weekend.”


The neatest thing to watch is how over the weekend, many of these “reluctant husbands” enjoy the retreat best of all. They relax, make new friends, laugh, and enjoy falling in love all over again with the woman they love. As the couples arrive in the dining hall, we make sure they all sit together and meet other couples. Soon a magical sound starts. I call it the “sound of fellowship.” Here’s how it sounds: It begins as a low buzz as people begin to visit, and it’s accompanied by the sound of silverware clinking. Soon, a new sound enters this symphony. It’s my favorite Friday night sound- the sound of laughter. It lets us know these strangers are beginning to come together as new friends as they relax in the special environment that occurs at camp. I firmly believe this sound of fellowship is used by the Holy Spirit to lay the foundation for the spiritual victories to be won tonight and throughout the weekend.


After the meal, the couples walk in small groups back to the Adult Center, better known at Dry Creek as the “White House.” Because darkness has now fallen, we hand out flashlights to each couple. I always enjoy reminding them that there had better not be any kissing or hanky-panky on the trail back to the White House.

Then the first session begins. I like to quietly sit in the lobby and just listen. We are blessed with great leaders who know so much about marriages and have the ability to present it in a creative and fun way. I’ve never seen a Friday session that didn’t have eruptions of hearty laughter all evening.


Sometimes as the couples share, it sounds like the old Newlywed Game from the 1970's. Listening carefully, the loudest laughter seems to come from those reluctant husbands. I silently thank God for what He is doing in the lives of these precious couples. I’m also thankful we have a facility to minister to these adults. Our passion and priority is reaching young people, but when we can be a part of seeing God strengthen marriages, we are equally thrilled. Anytime marriages are strengthened, everyone wins.


Now, I want to tell you about our other event of this same weekend. Each year in February we sponsor a one-day “Turkey Hunting Seminar.” This event is planned and carried out by one of our retired employees and special friends, Joe Watson. I jokingly refer to Joe as our “head turkey.”


This Saturday seminar has grown into a well-attended event. During the entire day, these dedicated hunters get together and “talk turkey.” They have calling contests, go to the rifle range to pattern their shotguns, and trade stories all day long. Turkey hunters are among the most passionate of all hunters and the men, women, and young people who attend, are no exception.


They bring stuffed turkey mounts, turkey decoys, calls, pictures of prize birds, magazines, and anything else that has anything to do with turkey hunting. One year, our area’s best hunter, C.W. Caraway, brought the beard and tail feathers of his state record turkey. Everyone reverently gathered around as if the Hope diamond was on display.


In addition, we usually have a local taxidermist bring several mounts of various animals. Often, Mark Atkinson will set up one of his hunting stands in the Dining Hall. By the time the seminar gets going, the room is filled with excited hunters and paraphernalia of every type.


One thing all of these hunters have in common is their apparel. Every person, even down to the smallest child brought by his dad, is outfitted in camouflage. Turkey hunters are experts at hiding themselves from this intelligent and wary bird. Every camouflage pattern known to man is modeled on this day.


Walking into the dining hall, there is so much camo and surplus army clothing that you’ll wonder if you’ve stumbled upon the annual convention of one of those radical militia groups from Montana. However, the best part of this event is the spiritual emphasis throughout the day. Several of our turkey hunters give devotions from God’s word. They use analogies from hunting to share the gospel and the power of God. We are always thrilled at the number of unchurched folks who attend this event. Anytime, we can invite people on to our grounds and share with them concerning the great love of God, is always a great opportunity.


One year Ricci Hicks, a hunter from Longville, shared a devotion using his calls and gear. His talk was entitled, “How Satan deceives men.” Using each of his hunting items and techniques, he really brought home about the methods the devil uses to attack men.


On this February Saturday morning, the turkey hunters fill up one end of the dining hall as they meet, laugh, learn, and drink our coffee pots dry. As we get ready for lunch on the other end of the Dining Hall, it never enters my mind as to the conflict we are going to have in this Dining Hall in a few minutes.


Soon our couples group, after finishing their morning session, will be coming to the dining hall for lunch. After their meal, they will return to the White House for one final afternoon session on this Valentine weekend.

So, get this picture. In fact, I know some of you are even ahead of me. Standing on one end of the dining hall is a group of sixty camouflaged turkey hunters. On the other side of that very front door are twenty-five couples ready to come in and eat. It had never even entered my mind about the conflict that this would create.


As soon as the couples came in, I knew we had trouble. The first expression I saw of it came from one of my favorite couples, Kevin and Cathy Willis. Kevin is one of my best friends in the whole world. As I shared earlier in this book, he is my duck hunting partner and fellow deacon. He is a big burly man with a heart as big to match his body. He is passionate about anything he does- singing, hunting, being a good dad, and especially following Jesus. However, when he comes through the door and sees all of the hunting stuff spread throughout the dining hall, he looks as if he is going to be sick. This is the expression of a man who loves the outdoors and hunting and has just discovered how he has missed the opening day of hunting season.


His wife Cathy’s face is just as passionate. As Kevin gazes longingly at the hunting gear, Cathy has the same look of a woman who sees her husband ogling a younger woman. She is ready to try to drag him away from temptation and back to the White House.


Most of the couples there have the same kind of reactions to some varying extent. Every country man worth his salt likes to hear about hunting and see camouflage, whether he likes to hunt or not. As the couples begin going through the serving line, several of the men comment to me concerning my lack of foresight in putting a couples’ retreat and hunting seminar on the same weekend.

Kevin wants a vow from me, “Bro. Curt, please promise me you won’t ever schedule another couples event on turkey hunter’s weekend.”


I try apologizing to these men from the Valentines Couples’ Retreat. Finally, I give the only comment I can think of, “Sorry guys, but no man can serve two masters.”


Although this story is humorous and probably slightly exaggerated, (that’s called “literary license.”) the principle behind it is serious, when we attempt to serve two masters, we will be completely miserable.


As the couples leave the dining hall, some of the husbands look back longingly with the same gaze I imagine Lot’s wife had as she looked back on Sodom. But I hope they realize the joy that comes from sacrificing what you want or enjoy for someone you love. There is a great difference between these two and much of our happiness and fulfillment in life comes from right choices between things and people.


Yes, Jesus hit the nail on the head. We cannot serve two masters. Just as Ivory whined at being unable to choose between her two masters and my hunting buddies were torn between their wives and camouflage, we are most unhappy when we are in the no man’s land of attempted dual allegiance.


Sometimes, the most miserable person in the world is not the person who has no room for God in their life. Yes, that person is unhappy and unfulfilled. However, there is probably no worse spot to be in than attempting to be both a follower of Jesus and the world. May we constantly be reminded of the love and grace of Jesus. Let us never forget His strong call for us to forsake this world and our own wants to wholeheartedly follow Him, this Amazing Jesus, the Son of the Living God.

“Then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve…

…but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” -Joshua 24:15

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home