Creekbank Blog

The writing blog of Curt Iles and Creekbank Stories. Our mission: To connect hearts to God by using stories of encouragement and inspiration.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009


I'm sharing this week about my six favorite words. So far, I've written about compassion/passion/integrity/gratitude, and resolve.

Today, the word is relationships


Relationships


"Everything rises and falls on relationships."


I'll be adding to this blog as the day goes on.

In the end, it's all about relationships.
When it's all said and done, the people around us are all that matters.

No one ever asks to be surrounded by their material possessions on their deathbed.However, the stories are legion of men and women calling for their family-- especially estranged family-- at that critical moment.

There are several directional relationships we'll look at, and as always several stories illustrating about this word that is one of six words to live by.

Relationships.

When you break it down, whatever you do is built on relationships. It doesn't matter if you're a working mom, salesman, CEO, teacher, pastor, or the greeter at WalMart-- you're in the business of building relationships.

Those who spend a lifetime nurturing friendships and relationships are the happiest people.
We were created to have bonds and bridges with others.

In his excellent book, The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell defines a group of people called "connectors." These are folks who seem to know everyone and go through life making friends and contacts.

One of the joys of their lives is connecting people together as in "I've got a friend whom you must meet, they're also interested in ___________."

Connectors are relationship builders.

In my estimate, the most important relationship is the vertical one between me and my God.
I don't view it as "religion" but a relationship.

This relationship with God is very personal and an intimate part of my daily life. It should influence every decision and action of my life.

This relationship with the Creator God of the universe is cemented through my relationship with His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Notice I use His full name. He's that important. The Lord Jesus Christ.

All of the other relationships of my life should take a back seat to that one. As Jesus himself commanded, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

"All these things" are all of the other important things in my life, including family and friends.

This has nothing to do with neglecting or ignoring my other relationships. I firmly believe "seeking the Kingdom of God first" only makes a man or woman a better mate, parent, worker, and human being.

Relationships.
It's a powerful word and must be a priority in our lives.
In every direction.
In every way.

Coming next: The sixth word: Legacy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home