Creekbank Blog

The writing blog of Curt Iles and Creekbank Stories. Our mission: To connect hearts to God by using stories of encouragement and inspiration.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

African Eyes

This photo was taken while we taught Congolese pastors. I later placed my hand through one of the cracks, and soon a small black hand grasped mine and began stroking the hair on my arm.

It was a special moment in our trip and I hope this photo captures the beauty of the young eyes and hearts of Africa.


I have but one passion-- it is He, it is He alone. The world is the field and the field is the world; and henceforth that country shall be my home where I can most used in winning souls for Christ." -Count Zinzindorf

As I share photos and stories about Africa, it is evident as to how God has turned my heart to this continent.

I cannot explain (nor do I fully understand) why or how God has focused a Southern redneck's heart on Africa. I only know it's happening.

I'm always concerned that I sound as if I think everyone ought to go on overseas missions. That is not my job or wish. That is God's job to direct the hearts of His followers wherever He wishes.
That includes Jerusalem (where we live and minister daily) all the way to the "ends of the earth." If eastern Congo ain't the ends of the earth (as least for where I come from) it's close.

Enjoy these photos.

A Baptist church at one of the Refugee* camps outside Goma, Congo.

The construction is very simple and the floor is volcanic rock.


The official names for these camps are Internally Displaced People (IDP) camps. the UN gives them this designation due to the fact that these residents have not crossed an international border.

There are six camps in the area housing an estimated 300,000 people. The needs are great and the conditions are primitive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home