Creekbank Blog

The writing blog of Curt Iles and Creekbank Stories. Our mission: To connect hearts to God by using stories of encouragement and inspiration.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Tertius' Headache

What do you do when the movie ends? Are you one of the first ones out or do you sit and watch the credits roll until the lights come up and the workers pick up the popcorn containers?

I never leave until everything passes on the screen.

It's the way I was brought up at the knee of my Uncle Bill. (He holds the record of watching 233 movies in one year (1959 while working at the Realart Theater in DeRidder.)

Watching a movie beside Uncle Bill was an event. It was serious and no talking or distractions were allowed. Also, we'd sit until the credits rolled by soaking in every last moment of the magic of being in a theater.

I think of that when I get to Romans 16. Paul's classic letter on all things concerning salvation and justification.

Romans 16 are the credits. In this final portion of his letter, Paul sends greetings between the hearers in Rome and his fellow senders in Corinth.

It's easy to skip over this portion of his letter. As I heard one speaker comment, "Romans 16 is like the credits at the end of 'Gone with the Wind'."


However, all scripture is there for a reason, including Romans 16.

My favorite verse in that chapter is verse 22: "I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord." (16:22 NIV)

Paul allows this scribe to add a personal note to the letter. It's a mark of class and grace.

Thinking about this, I penned a short fictional story told by Teritus. I call it "Tertius' Headache."

Enjoy.



Tertius’ Headache

“Honey, I’m home.”


“Well, Tertius how was your day?”

“Whew.”

“A bad day, huh?”

“No, it was… it was wonderful, but I’m whupped.”

“How so?” His wife asked as she stirred a steaming pot.

“I’m taking dictation from the Apostle Paul, you know the evangelist. He’s staying over at Gaius’ house.He’s writing a letter to some folks in Rome. We spent all day on it. And I’ve got a splitting headache.”

“Honey, what’s the letter about?

“Everything. It’s long. My hand is numb. Paul got so excited, talking fast and pacing the room, gesturing. I’d have to slow him down, back up some, and get him to repeat it.

“It’s really Paul’s summation of what he calls the 'gospel.'

The simple, pure gospel—of who Jesus is and what He’s done for us.

"Here, let me read from my notes. Let me find it here. How about this from page 4, 'All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.' "


Tertius thumbed through the papers, dropping several. 'But my favorite here is from, let's see page 9, "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus."

"That's really nice, Tertius. I like it."


He smiled wearily, “Well, if supper’s ready, let’s eat. I’ll probably be pulling an all-nighter re-writing this. I’ve got to be there early in the morning to start again."






Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.
Also visit my blog :: clickbank affiliate programs

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger ahmed deraz said...

خدمات دبى – ابو الهول
epoxy اسعار في الامارات
تركيب ارضيات خشب دبي

 

Post a Comment

<< Home